« Home | The J.O.B Market and Extravagant CEOs » | Find-A-Career: Investment Banking » | FTSE4Good Index » | I Will Be Away » | More Traffic! More Comments! » | The Barons of Bankruptcy » | A Guide to Amateur Day Trading ... » | Who Moved My Soap? » | The Biggest Resume Blooper of All » | You can't raffle off a dead donkey! »

What Makes a Stock SEXY?

I started a group in Google Groups today! (Google rocks ... really). I started it because I am curious to know how other investors really pick stocks. And by investors I mean "mum & dad" investors rather than professionals. People who invest others' money are ususally (and they should be) restricted to an investment style. Mums & Dads often lack the resources and the expertise to choose the stocks that will give them maximum return for a given amount of risk. But this doesn't mean they don't make money. They simply do not realise abnormal returns.
After three years studying finance at university I came to realise that there is always a bias when "picking" stocks. Because we tend to identify with a certain company or a particular sector.
I have a favorite stock. Not that it is a particularly good stock (of course, depending on your investment style -Aggressive Growth, Value, Growth At a Reasonable Price - you will find that it is/isn't a good stock). It is Rayonier REIT (RYN: S&P 400). And I have been following it for a year now. It was part of an assignment I had to do at university. And it became my "Sexy Stock". Do I own it? Won't tell you ... But I find it sexy.
Now here's a question:

Is sexiness a criteria for choosing a stock?

Most definitely not. Never. But I still like the RYN.
Now if you have a sexy stock then go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/SexyStock and tell us about it and why you think it is sexy. Or if you want send us an email at SexyStock@googlegroups.com.
I hope to get a few replies this week. If not, I will open another topic. I already have a few ideas. If you too have ideas then drop me a ligne or your link.
It's time for me to go (I have a few resumes to send).
Next post on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.