« Home | Just passing » | Graduate Accountant (Fresh not Cooked) » | "Get Richest Quickest" ~ Part I » | "Get Richest Quickest" ~ Part II » | "Get Richest Quickest" ~ Part III » | "OSAMA.CAPTURE.JAN05" Futures Contracts » | Gut Spread with Terrorism Futures Option ~ Part I » | Gut Spread with Terrorism Futures ~ Part II » | Can I Buy Your Broken Leg, Champion? » | Resume Bloopers to Avoid »

You can't raffle off a dead donkey!

"Creative Accounting" you said? Not necessarily a bad thing. People using the Activity Based Costing method can use their creativity to improve costs control and decision making. But if you can't tell that a creative accounting technique breaks the law you can still judge if it right or wrong. Some techniques are just dodgy. Here is a joke that captures theintricacies of the issue:
A city boy, Kenny, moved to the country and bought a donkey from an old farmer for $100.00. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
The next day the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry son, but I have some bad news, the donkey died." Kenny replied, "Well then, just give me my money back."
The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."
Kenny said, "OK then, just unload the donkey."
The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?" "I'm going to raffle him off."
"You can't raffle off a dead donkey!" the farmer said.
"Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he is dead."
A month later the farmer met up with Kenny and asked, "What happened with that dead donkey?"
Kenny said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars apiece and made a profit of $898.00." "Didn't anyone complain?" "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."
So? If you were the auditor of the city boy's firm would you bring his case to the attention of the directors? Even if he offers you generous cut? He didn't hurt anyone really... did he?

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
» » »

Post a Comment